Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Issues with History Girl

History Girl has been having problems with depression and anxiety for most of this school year. She has been going to a therapist and that seems to be working.

Today when I was working at the school History Girl came up to me and asked me if shampoo was toxic. I told her no the shampoo she uses is not toxic. Clearly she was gearing up for another anxiety attack. Since I work in the school from 11:30 - 1:30 she knows where to find me and that I am in the school for those hours. She ended up going to the school's office and telling them she was sick and wanted to go home. She knows the rule, if she isn't vomiting or has a fever she doesn't come home sick. So I told the school secretary that History Girl was not coming home with me and I was going out the back way so History Girl wouldn't see me because that would have made her even more upset. I feel like a bad mother, but I know that I can't give in to her on coming home. It isn't like I don't already have an appointment with her therapist for this afternoon to try to figure out what is going on. I am not ignoring the situation. I am sneaking out the back of the daughters' school. :-P

She has been having a problem for the last two months or so, that if she gets anything into her mouth that isn't food, she panics and is sure that she is going to die from what went into her mouth. She has been having trouble sleeping because of this and things like that.

I talk to friends who are mothers to figure out how to parent in various situations, but this isn't something I have been able to find help dealing with. I have no idea how to handle a kid with is having anxiety attacks of this level. I am doing the best I can, but I still feel like I am messing up.

2 comments:

Sock Girl said...

You are not messing up. You are a great mom. History Girl is very lucky to have someone looking out for her interests and trying to help her and loving her like you do. I hope the therapist can help her find some comfort. (((Hugs to you both)))

Virginia said...

My mother-in-law goes through this periodically. It seems to be related to her OCD, and it's gotten much better since she's been on Prozac. Not, obviously, that History Girl needs to be on Prozac right now! But it's good to know that it's out there.