Thursday, May 24, 2007

Horse Girl and her reading

I got a call from the person who is setting up Horse Girl's extended year services...she is the same person who did it last year and I know that because she pronounces Horse Girl's name wrong every time...it would be the equivalent of me calling her House Girl because only one letter is wrong and it is still word and maybe a name, but it isn't Horse Girl's name and it upsets me and I correct her and she still does it. I don't feel like I can get really upset about it because this woman is working hard to fit Horse Girl's services around her camp schedule.

Yesterday Horse Girl read to me half of an I level book. She started to get tired so I took over half way through. I totally understand needing to stop reading because something is hard to read. With Horse Girl's and my learning differences reading something that does wear us out when we push ourselves. Fly Guy jokes about how I read Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives by Alan Bullock and how he could never read a book like that, but what he doesn't talk about is how it took me about six months and it was hard exhausting reading. So if Horse Girl says she is tired I totally can relate and I don't push her because I don't want make her hate pushing herself, because she pushes herself enough without me pushing too.

If someone knows a website that compares all the different ways of ranking reading level I would love to know about it. The books that I got Horse Girl to read at home are ranked with letters, the ones at school are DRA levels and then there are the RL levels and they all confuse me and I would like to know what they are in relation to each other. For example in January Horse Girl's DRA level was 4 in January, but she just read half an I book yesterday. I would like to know how that compares. It is most likely like converting hogsheads to liters. (Just so you don't need to look it up there are 238 liters in a hogshead. ;-) )

1 comment:

Alto2 said...

Somewhere I read that there has been success prescribing a certain kind of glasses for dyslexic kids. Have you considered this for Horse Girl?