Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Police - I have seen them so now I may die in peace.

On July 29th I went to see The Police in Fenway. Well I have been a fan since I was 11 or 12 years old. So this totally fulfilled some major dreams for me. I had completely given up on them ever getting together again.

Fly Guy and I left the girls with my parents and left to go to Boston around noon on the 29th. We got to the Hilton Back Bay sometime around 2pm only getting lost in Boston once. ;-) We ended up walking around Newbury St. looking for someplace for lunch/dinner and found a really nice Greek place called Steve's. It was very good and I would go there again.

We went back to the hotel and got the tickets and headed off to Fenway even though it was a couple hours I just couldn't wait around the hotel. We headed to Fenway and stopped at Boston Beerworks for a little bit. Ended up going into Fenway at about 6pm which was about an hour before the opening act hit the stage. Turns out our seats were right next to Pesky's Pole. It was a great location, we could see the stage without a problem and we could see the monitors without problems.

The opening act was FictionPlane. Fly Guy and I couldn't figure out how a band that bad could open for The Police....it turns out the lead singer is Joe Sumner....does that last name sound familiar? Gordon Sumner...aka Sting. The lead singer was Sting's son. He was truly not walking in dad's footsteps that night.

The Police came on stage at about 8:15pm and played for for about two hours. Sting was good, more of a mature voice then he had when The Police were originally together, but that makes sense. Andy Summers seemed not to be feeling well, but he did a good job, but not to the level we were hoping for.

As for Stewart Copeland.....I have always said that he was the best rock drummer ever, but I was wrong. Saying he was just a drummer diminishes what he does. He is a percussionist and he was incredible. I cannot explain how awesome it was to finally see him in person. He was just amazing. Not only did he play his drums with a skill most people just dream of, but the other things he played gongs, some sort of hanging chain thing and random percussion items was just amazing. My mouth just dropped open seeing him play Wrapped Around Your Finger it was amazing. He also has aged very well when it comes to looks . ;-) I had photos of The Police all over my room for a few years during my teenage years and I so crushed on him and it is good to see that he has aged well.

The set list can be seen here. Luckily the weather stayed good even though it seemed like it was going to rain several times.

I am so glad to really see Stewart Copeland work that I still feel like I can't put it into words. So what I have written above will have to do.

I have seen several concerts of various bands, but I have never had such a good time as I did at this one, it has to be because I have been waiting for it well over half my life and I knew every single word to every song. I just checked my iTunes Police playlist I have 126 songs in it. I have the Strontium 90 stuff to the Message in a Box stuff. So I know The Police backwards and forwards.

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic has been one of my favorite songs for ages so it was nice to see it live. Some of my other favorites are not as well known so I am not surprised they weren't played, for example Visions of the Night (my current favorite), On Any Other Day (my favorite when I was 13) and J'aurais Toujours Faim De Toi (my favorite when I was 18).

Turns out The Police is coming back to Boston on November 11th...I am really thinking about going again. Fly Guy is good with going again. He liked The Police before we even started dating. It was one of the two major things that drew me to him. That plus the fact he knew who the False Dimitriy was.

So anyhow after the concert Fly Guy got us quickly back to the hotel. Since he goes to Red Sox games several times a year he knew the best way back to the hotel. We got there and ordered room service and went to bed.

Next day went out to Tealuxe for breakfast and a run to Trader Joe's and then headed home and stopped at the Portsmouth Brewery for lunch and made it back to Maine to pick up the girls from camp at 2pm. All and all a good 26 hours. ;-)

No comments: