Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Some Podcasts to Celebrate Canada Day

I have been meaning to write about this for awhile but never got around it, but it seems the perfect way to celebrate Canada Day (well a day late...I was busy yesturday) I want to share my favorite export from Canada....well maybe export...it is hard to say what a podcast is.

It is Decoder Ring Theatre. It is a group of people who recreate old time radio with today's podcasts. They have three major series The Red Panda, Black Jack Justice and Deck Gibson.

Personally my favorite is The Red Panda, it takes place in the 1930s. The Red Panda is "Canada's Greatest Superhero" and his side-kick, isn't a 15 year old boy, but a 20-something woman, known as the Flying Squirrel she is described as a delicate flower who leads with her left, but her right is a doosy. She knows Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, and she boxes. She might be viewed as the brawn and The Red Panda the brains, but he can throw a mean punch also and she comes up with her own theories on crimes without problems. His secret identity is a wealthy bachelor in Toronto and she is his driver. The technology isn't from the 1930s and there is magic in their world. So it is like Sci-Fi, fantasy, mixed with a mystery.

The end of the last run 6 Red Pandas left us with a major cliffhanger. Normally I don't think twice about cliffhangers, I haven't been annoyed with them since Star Trek: The Next Generation, with Jean-Luc Picard and the Borg with "The Best of Both Worlds." The Red Panda cliffhanger has left me thinking about what will happen and how it will work out. Not something I have ever really done with a show in years.

Well Decoder Ring Theatre, talks about doing a "Five in Your Drive" membership drive sort of thing to increase the number of their listeners. Burn five of your favorite episodes to a CD to give to your friends. Well I find listing my favorite five here easier. I will link to Decoder Ring Theatre's website, but you can get the podcasts at iTunes also. So here they are, I hope you like them:

Devil's Due
Red Panda: Dead or Alive!
Deadliest Game
Merlin's Tomb
A Midwinter's Murder

No comments: