Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Horse Girl

I don't know what to do about Horse Girl. She is clearly having problems and has been for a few weeks. I think it is related to her sensory issues, but I am not sure. I think she is sensory seeking right now, but our normal way of dealing with that with brushing and mini trampoline don't seem to be working. She is fidgeting and leaning on people all the time. This is causing her not to be able to get her work done at the Dyslexia Center or during the extended year services at the school. I have had three of her teachers talk to me about it and I have no idea what to do.
She even has been having nightmares lately. She is tossing all over her bed and crying out. I have no idea what is going on with her.
We are taking her out of the EYS and the Dyslexia Center next week so she can go to Horse Camp. I am hoping doing something more physical will clear up whatever is going on with her. Then she will go back for one more week at the Dyslexia Center. Then 3 weeks before school starting. Those weeks we will do a few thing at home in hopes that she doesn't lose ground, but trying not to over work her.
I think part of the problem is the fact Horse Girl is a bit of a perfectionist....which is something she gets from Fly Guy. Being a person with learning differences and a perfectionist is a hard combo to live with. She so wants figure things out and she gets really frustrated about it. She started crying today at the Dyslexia Center today because she feeling wriggly and that and having trouble keeping her mind on her work and it wasn't working for her today. This all made her cry. Her teacher felt bad because she hates it when Horse Girl cries because Horse Girl only cries at the Dyslexia Center when she is upset with herself.
I don't know. I need to figure out what to do to help Horse Girl. I hope a week at Horse Camp does the trick.

2 comments:

Alto2 said...

I profess no expertise on HG's issues, but it strikes me that maybe all the emotional drama is connected with a growth spurt. I am not diminishing HG's needs when I say that. Curious to know whether she is riding horses regularly each week or just going to camp. Would she benefit from more animal interaction. A dog, perhaps??

TDR said...

I'm way behind in reading blogs - was just catching up and this caught my eye. I wanted you to know that a little friend of ours wears a pressure suit (kind of like Under Armour) that helps him tremendously with the wiggling and leaning on people. The idea is it regulates his procioceptive system and gives him that input his body needs. You might try something like that...also try some deep pressure work before sending HG to EYS...squish her with a big ball or pillow...roll her like a burrito in a rug, etc. This works well for E.