Friday, August 24, 2007

Tsar Nicholas II and the Fairy Tale



Well it looks like the fairy tale ending that the romantic side of me wish for will not happen for Tsar Nicholas II.

I always held out some hope that one of the members of the Tsar's family made it out alive on that dreadful night of July 17, 1918. When I was younger I always hoped that it was Anastasia, I knew it was crazy but I had hoped and of course we all know the DNA testing showed that Anna Anderson wasn't the Grand Duchess. Then when I got older I heard about the rumor that floated around the Soviet Union saying that Alexei survived that night. I knew that was a long shot with knowing what the photo of the cellar room looked like after that night. I have known in my head that there was no way a 13 year old with hemophilia could survive what happened that night. In my heart
there was another different story. I am an optimist and I like the fairy tale ends for stories.

When they found they found the original set of bone on April 19, 1998 it turns out that Alexi's bones were missing along with one of the Grand Duchess. (They had trouble figuring out which set of bones were which Grand Duchess since they were so close in age.) That let me hold out hope that there still could be a fairy tale ending to the story of Tsar Nicholas II.

Well today there was an announcement they found more bones and it looks like belong to Alexi and the missing Grand Duchess. I am glad that the door can be closed on this part of Russian history, but I am sad that I am no longer going to be able to wish for my Fairy Tale ending to the story of Tsar Nicholas II and his family.

2 comments:

LSM said...

I've always found the story of Nicholas and Alexandra so romantic, even with the tragic ending. But you're right, it is good to really know the ending now. So sad.

Anonymous said...

i always keep in my heart that they still alive