Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Overreacting?

When I was a kid my parents just did what the teachers told them to do with regards to my learning differences. They never did anything more then that. When they were told that the gifted and talented teacher didn't want me in his class because I had learning disabilities, my parents didn't stand up for me then. If you ask them it was because the gifted and talented teacher hit some students and they didn't want the teacher teaching me because of that. In my mind that means you don't want that teacher teaching anyone and then you should work to get rid of that teacher. Then see about getting your LD kid in the gifted and talented program because she qualified for it, but that isn't what they thought they should do. The funny thing is a few years later my brother was in the gifted and talented program....hmmm double standard maybe?

Any how I am telling you this because my view of sticking up for my kids might be a little warped because what I grew up with.

Today when I picked up Horse Girl at the bus stop from Horse Camp, she told me she was being picked on because of how she speaks. I talked to her the whole walk home and when we got home I called the camp to tell them what was going on. They said they would look into it and find out what they can and call me tomorrow. Horse Girl heard that I called them and she got angry with me because she wants to be like everyone else. Well that just nearly killed me. I totally understand just wanting to be like everyone else when it is clear my brain works differently then everyone else. Being different is something that I have had to deal with all my life and it has taken me most of my life to realize it is ok that my brain works differently then other people.

Maybe I overreacted calling the camp, but it isn't like they are going to announce that someone said that Horse Girl is being teased and her mom called about it. How am I suppose to know what is within the normal for a reaction to something like this. Maybe I need to realize sometimes Horse Girl will be upset with me doing what is what I view is right.

1 comment:

LSM said...

I'd say your response was completely appropriate. Especially at Horse Girl's age, kids need a parent to help out in situations like this. And, as you said, I highly doubt the camp is going to point out to other kids that Horse Girl's mom called to express concerns.