Monday, April 7, 2008

Looking for Fluff

I am going on vacation in a week or so and I was just thinking I need to bring a book or two to read. I don't do fluff books often. I think the last major fluff book I read was "The Secret Life of Bees" and that was 2 years ago I think......hmmm....that isn't totally true. I re-read the Wizard of 4th Street series by Simon Hawke less then a year ago. For the most part the books I read are biographies or historical in some way. Currently I am reading "Buried by the Times: The Holocaust and America's Most Important Newspaper" it is a good book, but I am finding I can't read it before bed. Since I can't seem to read it before bed it doesn't seem like it would be a good vacation book.
Fly Guy just gave me four great books....none of them vacation type books. Fly Guy has the ability to find some great books, but they are never fluffy books. He got me "The Russian Revolution & the Soviet State 1917 - 1921 Documents"(I can't find a link of this book on the Internet to link to so I can show it.), "Daily Life in Russia Under the Last Tsar", "All Stalin's Men" and "The Hitler Book: The Secret Dossier Prepared for Stalin From the interrogations of Hitler's closest personal aides". As you can see none of the four are fluffy vacation books. Fly Guy doesn't understand vacation books.
So what I would like people to do for me is in the comments here list some of your most favorite Fluff/Vacation book and tell me why you like it.

thanks :-)

3 comments:

Mary said...

Sometimes I like revisiting "old friends" (so if you have a book or books that you have not read in years, a vacation might be a good time to revisit them). I'm thinking that for me that might be Tolkien's Ring series

I really like series books -- as once I've read the first book I already "know" all the characters, and I don't have to figure out a bunch of new people for each book.

Alto2 said...

I recommend you read Water For Elephants. It's a great piece of fiction, captivating without being too heavy. Other than that, I believe Jennifer Weiner has a new book out that's a sequel to Good In Bed.

LSM said...

I second Alto2's recommendation for Water For Elephants. Also, they're not Russian history, but I enjoyed two historical fiction novels lately: Daughter of York and The Borgia Bride.