Saturday, March 15, 2008

Gifted and talented

Horse Girl's school tests all the second graders for the Gifted and Talented program. When I was Horse Girl's age my parents were told I qualified for Gifted and Talented, but the teacher at the time didn't think it would be good for the G/T kids if I was in the program since I was special ed. Of course we all know special ed means you are barely functioning. Tell that to Albert Einstein (well he is dead so telling him would be hard), if I want to continue down the road of dead dyslexics John Lennon, Agatha Christie, Winston Churchill, Pablo Picasso, Leonardo da Vinci.....if we want some live dyslexics how about Orlando Bloom, Tommy Hilfiger, Bob Weir, Greg Louganis....any how I was not allowed in the G/T program and it has been a chip on my shoulder my whole life. It might be why I pushed myself so hard. So when I got the notice that Horse Girl was being tested I had a flashback to my childhood. I emailed Horse Girl's principal right away and asked what sort of test was it and told her that I wanted to make sure Horse Girl had a fair shake at it. Fair is not necessarily equal. The principal had no idea what sort of test it was. To her credit she got on the phone and found out for me and she got back to me and told me it was completely non-verbal and it was a bunch of logic puzzles, so no accommodations needed. I don't know if Horse Girl will qualify or not, but at least I know I have done all I can do to make sure she will have a fair chance.

No comments: